Happy New Year. A Landscapers Ten Predictions For 2020. (Warning: Depressing)
Happy New Year from Kent Arboreal. We are back to work now as I expect you are. By "you" I mean the twelve people who'll read this before 2030. It's not exactly a popular blog this one. So without further ado, here are the predictions for 2020 from our resident drunk...I mean futurist.
1. The Winter of 2019-2020 will be one of the warmest and wettest on record.
2. The Spring of 2020 will be one of the warmest and wettest on record.
3. The Summer of 2020 will be one of the hottest and driest on record.
4. The Autumn of 2020 will be one of the warmest and wettest on record.
5. The Winter of 2020-2021 will be one of the warmest and wettest on record.
6. Governments will still fail to properly acknowledge the existence of global warming and thus also fail to tackle it.
7. Wildfires will once again ravage Australia on a scale not previously recorded.
8. Australia will continue to be the worlds largest per capita producer of coal.
9. Australia's Great Barrier Reef will continue to bleach and die as sea temperatures rise.
10. The campaign to find just the tiniest bit of dirt on Greta Thunberg will continue. All those she opposes must be SO bloody annoyed that she's so squeaky clean. Normally the plan would be to find some minor indescretion or hint of hypocracy, relentlessly focus on that to discredit her, then continue business as usual. Currently it's being attempted on her parents but even they are pretty damned clean.
All this might seem a bit hypocritical given that we drive around in pick up trucks and run countless petrol powered saws and cutters but actually its not. If alternatives were available that were fit for purpose and affordable then we would move to them. We are already moving towards battery powered saws, and electric trucks are becoming available now although currently a stupid prices. The sad thing is that these technologies are only being released now not because they are new, but because vested interests have held them back.